"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

Thursday, July 24, 2014

I Am the Mask I Wear

     I've recently come to the realization that if we want to become what we want to become, we have to be what we want to become. In other words act like you are what you want to be. In my case I want to be a writer, but I most often find myself not writing. This is a problem obviously. I've been fussing over this issue for some time with no real resolution in sight and making myself quite depressed over the whole thing. Now however, I'm starting to think that if I'm going to be a writer in the future I can't just hope for it and pray it happens. We are who we choose after all, so if I want to be a writer I must choose to be one. A writer is by definition one who writes. I don't need to be successful or well paid or even paid at all to be a writer. I just need to write. So I'm doing that. Instead of planning what I'll do with my blog or books or stories I'm going to write the darned things, or at least work on them.

You're Puss in Boots, the one who tricks the prince. He hides who he really is and pretends to be someone else forever. So in time he becomes that person, so his lie becomes the truth, see? He transcends the mask. Don't you get it? That's how he finds happiness. That's pretty good, right?”
-Ninamori Eri, FLCL

     In essence we are always becoming what we are. Do what you want to do, be what you want to be, and eventually you'll look in the mirror and see that that's who you are. It kind of reminds me of the the way we move forward as Christians. Progressive sanctification is the continuing work of God to make us more and more like Himself. We are however, already children of God purchased by the blood of His son. God through the indwelling Holy Spirit is continually making us into what we already are. He's tailoring us to fit the suit. From our perspective it isn't easy and it takes quite a bit of time but God see's the outcome. It's a sure thing because He has ordained it so.

...being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ...” Philippians 1:6


     I find this to be very reassuring. No matter how many times I choose poorly and wander from the path, the outcome is already decided! Those of us who truly are His own will persevere to the end and be glorified. If God can take a sinful man like me and change me into the image of His Son, surely with His help I can make a few changes as well.


(No I"m not going to post videos every time now by the way.  It just seemed appropriate!)

No comments:

Post a Comment