"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

Monday, July 1, 2013

Dreams and Promises

It occurred to me today that our dreams our a thing we must strive, even fight for. The odd thing is that although we usually hear about fighting against the world or our circumstances, we rarely hear about fighting against ourselves for our dreams. Sometimes it's our own deficiencies that hold us back. If we are to fulfill that which we desire we must fight tooth and nail against our own laziness, fears, and worries. Not that this is easy. In fact I think it may just be the most difficult part of the battle. We can put labels on enemies, we can cast ourselves the hero in some cosmic war against our situation or our economic shortcomings, but realizing that we ourselves are to blame often comes rather late.

Personally I don't think this is a permanent problem. I think we can muscle through even our own shortcomings. As Christian I believe this to be even more true. We are empowered by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to be changed, to be more than what we were. We know that God will finish the work He begins in us. Furthermore we know that God desires our good, whether that be freedom from recurring sins or the perfecting of our fallen natures. I see in myself a propensity for selfishness, laziness, and pride and I see in the scriptures God's promise to remove those faults. Ultimately their shadows will remain until I see His face in paradise, but I can trust Him to loosen the hold they have on me.


Every day I see more and more the need to seek His face. “Seek ye first the kingdom of God … and all these things shall be added unto you...” God knows how to give good gifts to his children, we need only ask and ask rightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment